My Top 5 Sources of News



Today's technology has managed to shift the way we get our information in a major way. Many newspaper stations have switched to being completely online and that is how I retrieve most of my information. It is extremely important to look at the news whether to check on worldwide news, political issues, new trends and even tips for life. However, it is vital to check the sources you use for bias. Bias can be found everywhere so having multiple news sources to compare stories to is absolutely necessary. Below I will be discussing the five sources I rely on when looking at the news. 

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is my way of unwinding from the real world. He has extremely funny takes on top stories. He covers a broad spectrum of news from national to international. By utilizing satirical comedy he exposes the world for what it truly is, no BS. The Daily Show does not have a website but episodes can be found on Comedy Central's website. I first got into watching this with my mother during the presidential election. Noah had a way of making me laugh despite all the uncertainty in the world. 


Turning 18 during a huge presidential election and pandemic brings a lot of uncertainty. I decided it was time I start doing my part and willfully looking at political issues to form my own opinion. Politico is a wonderful outlet I use to check up on political issues. I found this source when I was in my senior year of high school history class. It has been a great way to look at unbiased politically neutral news. This outlet has different sections which include Congress, White House, policies including but not limited to technology, education, and employment and immigration, and elections. Politico makes sure to inform the reader if they are looking at an opinion piece which is extremely useful.  I fully recommend Politico if you are looking for a new perspective on political issues. 



You are probably thinking Instagram is an odd way to look at the news. But being a Gen Z means I am constantly looking at my phone, especially social media. Instagram allows me to keep up with famous people, friends, and new trends. It is extremely user friendly and a great way to stay connected. If used correctly it is a great way to also keep up with businesses, brands, and different causes. I keep up with many businesses to see how they are running their social media image, since that is my minor. I highly recommend instagram as a way to stay connected to people and news all over the world. 



Richmond Times-Dispatch is my way of looking at news from my hometown. They cover a wide variety of news from sports and COVID-19 to crime. They have national and local stories of interest which makes it a versital website. Richmond Times-Dispatch has a very sleek newspaper looking website making it easy to operate. I do however turn to Richmond-Times Dispatch last when I am looking at news. 




NBC nightly news is my last source I get my news from. I have learned to watch NBC because that is the primary news source my parents watch. Every evening they catch up on the national and international news sources in snippets of 30 seconds. Although NBC can be somewhat neutral on issues they do tend to lean a little bit left. I take this into consideration when I am watching politics and other issues being discussed. I have been using NBC to stay updated on Afghanistan, coronavirus, and business and finance news.  I personally enjoy the way Lester Holt delivers news fast and efficiently. 

Comments

Popular Posts